Annual Gala and Auction Night


Dear Community,

It is my great joy to report that this year’s Spring Gala Through The Years, A Waldorf Centennial Celebration was a huge success!! The venue was stunning, the décor thoughtful and beautiful, the guests dressed in wonderful and creative expressions of bygone eras, the auction items were lovingly created and/ or curated and all had a great time! 

As you may know, 80% of the school’s operating costs come from tuition. The other 20% comes from Development fundraising events; Annual Giving in November, The Winter Faire in December and The Spring Gala in May. This years’ Gala was record breaking! (cue drumroll…)

The total event profit was $140,000!!  

This is money that goes directly back to our school for improvements, supplies, operations and dedicated projects (Global Auction). We are often asked about where the money comes from and then where it goes, so here is a rough breakdown from this year:

$25,250 for global Items ($13,900 for High School Tech and Lower School Language Arts, $7,350 Kindergarten Bathroom (phase1) and $4000 for the Kindergarten Loft.)

$109,310 total auctions ($17,710 on Silent Auction/ Raffle; $91,000 Live Auction)

$7,240 in ticket purchases

$1190 in cash donations

$558 in bar (98 drinks at $6 a drink)

A wholehearted thank you goes out to everyone who supported this event, near and far!  To our guests who laughed, encouraged, bid, donated and connected with others there that evening, the energy wouldn’t have been what is was without you! To the businesses who said yes when approached to donate their talents and services to our lively little school, even though they may have never even heard of Waldorf education before. To the parents, students, teachers and faculty who donated time, items, party venues, love and support throughout the planning of this event, your care and love truly carries this event and beyond when the items and joy move on to their new homes. To our sponsors, whose generosity offset the cost of producing our event. To our very own High School Jazz band and students who spoke that evening, showing us the incredible possibilities that are in all children when nurtured by this community. To all of you, on behalf of the Gala Committee, WSSD, and all of the community present and future who will benefit, we are humbled and grateful beyond measure.

 

It would be impossible to fully express my personal gratitude for the hundreds of dedicated hours, creativity, and love the volunteer gala committee, and Development Director, Julie Timan, poured into our Gala planning and execution. To the core volunteer team who showed up every week with Julie and I; Monica Hoover, Tracey Henry, Adrianna Villagrana, Melissa Phillips, Theresa DeCristoforo and Jessica Kraus; your unique talents and contributions are appreciated more than you know. I am honored to be shoulder to shoulder with you through this ever-evolving and noble process. To those of you who I consider to be pillars, you are working in the background and/ or show up for the event holding huge pieces that we could not do without: Bianca Lara, Andreas Amann, Liza Ferraro, Robert (Gigs) Giglio, and Gabriel DiBello. Your steady presence is a comfort and foundational to this event. And to each of our angel helpers who dove in at the last minute for set up or clean up and all the bits along the way, you know who you are and you are so appreciated!!!

Every year the Gala Committee strives to make a beautiful, fun and profitable event to benefit our school and ultimately, your children. I encourage you to attend, bring your family, friends and colleagues or even to join the volunteer committee!  There are many ways to support that do not include weekly check-in’s and if you have ideas and/ or contributions of any kind, you are welcome to bring them! If you enjoyed the event, please share with others in the community what it was like and why you go. If you have questions about the Gala or see opportunities for improvement, we welcome them as well!

 

Anyone who donated or purchased something at or for the event will be receiving a tax letter, contact Liza Ferraro with any questions. lferraro@waldorfsandiego.org 

 

See you next year!

With my deepest gratitude,

Cambria Berger

Gala Committee Chair

 

Here is a link to pictures from the event you can enjoy or purchase some of your favorite prints at cost: https://tinyurl.com/y3u5t9p4

 

Thank you to our gracious event sponsors! 

Unit Leader & JT Carbon Surfboards

Rancho Mesa Insurance

First Bank

Anonymous donors; In honor of WSSD High School Faculty and Staff

Bootchcraft

Barrel Blend Wine 

Green Flash Brewing Co. 

Coronado Brewing Co.

Ziobaffa